What did you accomplish yesterday? What will you do today? Are there any impediments on your way? Those are the questions to address during a daily scrum meeting, and only those! Daily scrum meetings are not exactly meetings, they are conversations between team members in order to plan the day. However, we notice very often they convert into useless and lasting get-togethers.
Let me suggest you a few tips in order to drive productive daily scrums:
- They are always needed and all the team has to be present. No exceptions.
- Timeboxed. Around 10-15 minutes ought to be more than enough for a seven-people team.
- Discuss any technical issue after this meeting.
- Do not forget to ask for a confidence level, as it is a clear indicator on how the team is progressing.
To sum up, these are the goals to reach for every role:
- Product owner may clarify some doubts from the team.
- Scrum Master understands which impediments team members are encountering in order to solve them as soon as possible.
- Team members should leave the meeting with the feeling they have a plan for today,not just they have justified their actions from yesterday to the team.
If you believe I’m missing something, do not hesitate to comment here! Thank you.Antonio González