As promised, this post will show you which our objectives are for the second half of 2013.
In other words, we are going to deliver a presentation, one of my favorite topics and tasks. Well, truth be told, it’s just an online presentation but still attention to format and performance should be paid. So firstly, do you know how to provide a good presentation?“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
This is the case. If you want to know how to provide a great presentation, learn from others’ mistakes. Nobody is perfect so I’m sure you have attended many presentations (at work, school, university, etc) which are boring or simply not well-performed. So take what you didn’t like and don’t do it!
From a young professional’s perspective, let me give you some advice based on my experience:
- Be funny but not a clown. I love US style when presenting: always starting with a joke but getting serious soon. I think this is an approach to be taken as a standard also in Europe.
- Move around. Or at least, don’t sit down in a chair for the whole presentation. It doesn’t help you to have visual contact with your audience.
- Engage, feel excited by what you’re explaining. This is one of my many mistakes. I am too monotone so people feel eventually distant to me as the presenter.
- Practice, practice, practice. If necessary, record yourself when practicing and check the video to find bad practices.
- Ask for feedback. This is what I am going to do here. Please, leave your comments with advice on how to perform well during a presentation.
- Be dynamic. This is not only related to how you move around the room or how you visually contact everyone in the audience, it is also about choosing the appropriate tools. Powerpoint is the most used tool but many others are providing a more dynamic solution. For instance, Prezi is a good example.
Prezi is the tool we have chosen to present you our objectives for the second half of 2013 and the actions to reach these goals – click play, allow some time to load and move forward and backward on the ‘slides’:
If presentation does not load, click here.
Do you think these objectives are SMART? Do you consider we can reach them? Help us in doing so, you won’t regret.Antonio Gonzalez